I hope that he also filed papers on your behalf

OK, if you have an attorney, I hope that he also filed papers on your behalf, otherwise you could run into some accusations of child abduction. Not so much because you took the child, but took the child across state lines without a court order to do so. Now, there is an out here. You could file in IL. under a fear of harm petition.

In essence, a restraining order. Other states can take jurisdiction in such cases, without you needing to be there for six months. We have board members who can advise you better on that. First, make sure that doing the tape recording is legal in IL. It has to be legal there for you to be doing it. It does not matter what the other state laws are.

If it is legal, you don’t have to tell her. If there is no law, you can record. Supreme Court rulings apply then. Don’t use the answering machine to record unless she is leaving a message on it, and than take out the tape. Buy a recorder from Radio Shack that plugs into the phone line. Than, every time the phone is picked up, it records. Always use fresh tape. Don’t over-tape old tapes.

Give me a call at 1-800-SEE-DADS, and I can tell you what I can do to help you further.