Category: Advice of a lawyer

I hope that he also filed papers on your behalf

OK, if you have an attorney, I hope that he also filed papers on your behalf, otherwise you could run into some accusations of child abduction. Not so much because you took the child, but took the child across state lines without a court order to do so. Now, there is an out here. You could file in IL. under a fear of harm petition.

In essence, a restraining order. Other states can take jurisdiction in such cases, without you needing to be there for six months. We have board members who can advise you better on that. First, make sure that doing the tape recording is legal in IL. It has to be legal there for you to be doing it. It does not matter what the other state laws are.

If it is legal, you don’t have to tell her. If there is no law, you can record. Supreme Court rulings apply then. Don’t use the answering machine to record unless she is leaving a message on it, and than take out the tape. Buy a recorder from Radio Shack that plugs into the phone line. Than, every time the phone is picked up, it records. Always use fresh tape. Don’t over-tape old tapes.

Give me a call at 1-800-SEE-DADS, and I can tell you what I can do to help you further.

Taking custody before any papers

I have just joined the club and wanted to know if anyone else has done what I have done. I just have taken my 4 yr old daughter to Ill. with me to my mother’s. There has been no papers or anything filed. My wife has had another man staying at my house. He has smacked my daughter opened hand in the face several times, sent her to bed without supper repeatedly, and has also touched her genitals.

My wife has nothing! So I took matters into my own hands with the advice of a lawyer. My wife is livid and making very obscene calls to our house.

I have been recording them for future use and have also been in touch with DCFS. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.